The result? A bacon topped 3 cheese favorite I can have no guilt about. It’s good next to salad and steak (as pictured) or all on its own.
The bacon is totally optional, so feel free to make this your own!
P.S. it’s hubby-approved, too 😉
So, here’s my recipe for a Healthy Mac & Cheese that can be dressed up or down for any occasion:
Healthy Mac & Cheese
- 1 package whole grain pasta
- 4 tsp. organic grass-fed butter (or organic coconut oil)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 slices bacon, cooked, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
Cook pasta according to package directions. (Do not use salt or oil if suggested in directions.) Set aside.
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until brown (don’t let it burn).
Slowly whisk in almond milk; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens and there are no lumps.
Reduce heat to low. Add cheddar and parmesan cheese; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until melted.
Add pasta, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until heated through.
Top with Feta and bacon. Serve immediately.