The perfect cold weather companion, oatmeal is one of those breakfast staples in our home. The kids love all the flavors I grew up with – maple and brown sugar, apples and cinnamon, berries and cream.
But let’s face it. Not all oatmeal nowadays is “healthy” for our bodies, and some are glorified desserts! LOL 😉
This week, as you may know, Donald and I have been eating according to the Beachbody Ultimate Reset, a 21 day gentle cleanse and detox to reclaim gut health! In phase one, you get to enjoy the warmth of hot cereals like farina and oatmeal with green apples, nuts, and maple syrup -__
So, anyway! I was reminded often of this Apple Crisp recipe – and remembered I hadn’t yet shared it with you all since making it this past holiday season. 😉 It was scrumptious as a treat – and all 5 family members gobbled it up!
I can’t take credit for it. While searching for fall favorites, I came across it on this blog and shared it with my challengers that same week! It was so good!
Although the holidays are behind us and we are now in a new year, this dish, I believe, is perfect for this chilly weather we are cuddled up in!
So… here ya go! May you and your family enjoy it as we have:
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 18 mins
Total time 28 mins
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 cups peeled, sliced apples
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup, divided use
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided use
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats (use gluten-free oats if desired)
- ¼ cup finely chopped raw walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine apples, 2 Tbsp. maple syrup, and ½ tsp. cinnamon in a medium baking dish; mix well. Set aside.
- Combine oats, walnuts, remaining 1 Tbsp. maple syrup, and remaining ½ tsp. cinnamon in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Top apple mixture with oat mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until apples are soft.
And here is the family’s reaction!
Of course, you could totally dress this up – but it’s a simple and yummy treat that I know I could put together any time (we keep these items in the pantry pretty regularly) Plus, I took peace knowing it was also good for my kids’ health ;-).
- Will you try it and tell me if you changed it up a bit, and what you did?