Last week I shared that these apple banana muffins Donald made were a big hit with the kids, and promised to share the recipe.
If you’re like me, you’re a mom always looking for healthier school snack alternatives that aren’t fill of refined sugar , don’t stick to dental work LOL, and aren’t met with resistance from the picky palettes in the family. (For example… I can’t WAIT for these new protein barsto come out so I can stock up our pantry and stuff them in their school bags each day)!
These muffins from our go-to clean eating cookbook fit the bill.
I tucked in these apple banana muffins for a quick and healthy snack in their bento boxes, next to some fresh blackberries and a cheese stick.
If you do follow the fitness and nutrition programs I often recommend, then you know why I’m a huge advocate for this cookbook! It was oroginally written with the 21day fix program in mind with 101 recipes to add to your library of healthy meals. Part of what makes it so valuable to the clean eating “portion fix” enthusiast is that every recipe in the book also shows you the exact color serving sizes to make using those portion control containers super easy.
These muffins will make your kitchen smelling wonderful and your kids asking for more!
Apple Banana Muffins
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 Tbsp. organic grass-fed butter, melted or coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup almond flour + 1/2 cup flaxseed meal (can also use coconut flour)
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare nine muffin cups by lining with muffin tin layers or coating with muffin spray.
- Combine eggs, banana, and butter in a medium bowl; mix well; set aside.
- Combine almond flour, flax seed meal, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Add almond meal mixture to egg mixture; mix until blended.
- Add apple; mix until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer muffins to rack; cool.
Optional: Add chocolate chips or cinnamon if you like
Original recipe b
, creator of 21 DAY FIX