Most everyone who follows my blog, attends one of my LIVE classes, or joins one of my online challenge groups inevitably asks me how or what I eat in a typical day… and they especially want to know how to make healthier choices for special holidays and social gatherings . 😉
With today being May 5, I already see several friends posting about hosting a Cinco de Mayo get together this weekend or making a special treat and drink at home for dinner tonight. I thought I could share a few of my favorite go-to dishes, too!
The appetizer you can’t get enough of
No gathering is complete without chips and dip, in my opinion! And with avocado being the star of the day, what better choice is there than guacamole? Ditch the store bought tub and grab a couple avos and onions to make your own table side fresh dip!
4 ripe medium avocados, peeled, seeds removed, mashed
1 medium tomato, seeds removed, finely chopped
½ sweet white onion, finely chopped
2 medium chiles (like jalapeno, Serrano, or Anaheim), seeds and veins removed, finely chopped (optional)
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
½ tsp. ground cumin
Sea salt and ground white pepper (to taste; optional)
Hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco) (to taste; optional)
1. Combine avocados, tomato, onion, chiles (if desired), cilantro, lime juice, and cumin in a large bowl; mix well. Mixture may be slightly chunky.
2. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce if desired.
3. Serve with fresh carrots sticks, jicama sticks, or baked tortilla chips.
The dish everyone loves to pile up the goodies on
I could eat these EVERY SINGLE DAY. No joke! Fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime, pickled jalapenos, and swapping out sour cream for some plain greek yogurt… this girl is all about this kind of grub any day of the week!! In my house everybody loves fajita night!
- 1½ tsp. olive oil
- 2 medium green (red or yellow) bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb. raw extra-lean beef sirloin, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 tsp. ground chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ cup fresh salsa
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas, warm
- 4 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent and peppers are tender.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add beef, chili powder, cumin, pepper flakes, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.
- Add salsa; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
- Evenly top each tortilla with beef mixture, yogurt, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
The drink that’s also dessert!
Strawberry Mojito Smoothie
Sparkling water, fresh lime juice, and lots of mint make this Shakeology recipe taste like a refreshing strawberry mojito cocktail.
- Place ½ cup water, lime peel, lime juice, Shakeology, mint, and ice in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ½ cup water; mix well. Garnish with mint and strawberry slice if desired.
Well, there you have it! My 3 top picks for Cinco de Mayo… or ANY night of the week this mama is craving mexican food, if we are being honest! Do you have a pick of favorites? Have you made or found healthier versions of Mexican dishes you LOVE?! Share in the comments below! I can never get enough!
Living Life Fit,
– Angel ❤